+64 (03) 477 6111

RMA Compliance

  • Once an offence is committed it is difficult to reverse it. An offender does not need to be a farm worker who, for example, allowed sediment runoff into a stream. Depending on the circumstances, the farm manager and/or farm owner could also be considered as offenders even though they are not directly involved in the incident. Find out more about offences under NZ Environment\Compliance on our website.

  • Take water within the limits specified within the consents or permitted activity (an activity which will not need consent) conditions.

  • Check with the regional council before clearing, diverting or damming a waterway. If you are building a dam (including off-stream) you may need a Building Consent from your regional council. If you build a dam below the Building Consent thresholds in the Building Act you will still need to follow the Building Code. Either way under the current regulations you need to consult with a qualified or certified dam engineer for building dams.

  • Avoid fertiliser or pesticide drift outside your property boundary or into any waterways.

  • Avoid excessive irrigation that may result in ponding or runoff or drainage into your neighbouring property.

  • Manage farm landfills well above the ground water table and well away from waterways and to the requirements of the regional council.

  • Report all hazardous substances spillages to the regional council.

  • Consult with the regional council before undertaking any new drainage activities.

  • Comply with consent conditions and renew consents before expiring. Apply for renewal 6 months before consent expiry. This will give you automatic right to continue with your activity until a new consent is granted. If you apply between the period of 6 months and 3 months before the expiry you will be operating with your old consent until renewal at the regional council’s discretion. However, if you apply within the 3 months before the consent expires, your activity becomes unauthorised if the renewal is not granted before the expiry date. In the case of water permits in fully or over allocated catchments and with councils’ sinking lid policy you could potentially lose your water right if you allow your consent to expire.

  • If you have not used your consent within the specified period or 5 years of granting your consent will lapse. Be in touch with the regional council before consent lapsing.

  • Be familiar with the permitted activity conditions. If in doubt consult with your regional council.

  • Avoid any odorous or smoke emission activities that could cause nuisance outside your boundary.

  • Avoid any activity that could cause flooding of your neighbour’s property.

  • Comply with the water measuring device regulation.

  • Comply with any water shortage directions from your regional councils. These directions are given during water shortage periods.