+64 (03) 477 6111

RMA Compliance

  • Once an offence is committed it is difficult to reverse it. An offender does not need to be a vineyard worker who, for example, caused smoke from burning plant residues. Depending on the circumstances, the vineyard manager and/or owner could also be considered as offenders even though they are not directly involved in the incident. Find out more about offences under NZ Environment\Compliance on our website.

  • Water supply is very critical to grape growing hence check water availability or water right status of the property with your regional council before purchasing land for grape development.

  • If water is not available explore the option water transfers or water sharing with any existing water users in the area.

  • If you are in a frosty area and if water supply is not sufficient consider water storage for the purpose of frost fighting unless you use other methods to fight frost during flowering or fruiting.

  • Take water within the limits specified within the consents or permitted activity conditions.

  • If you are using frost pots to fight frost use in accordance with the regional council requirements (i.e. use complying frost pots).

  • Avoid burning of plant residues and use mulching/composting.

  • Check with the regional council before clearing, diverting or damming a waterway. If you are building a dam (including off-steam) you may need a Building Consent from your regional council. If you build a dam below the Building Consent thresholds in the Building Act you will still need to follow the Building Code. Either way under the current regulations you need to consult with a qualified or certified dam engineer for building dams.

  • Avoid fertiliser (foliar application) or pesticide drift outside your property boundary or into any waterways.

  • Manage farm landfills well above the ground water table and waterways and to the requirements of the regional council.

  • Report all hazardous substances spillages to soil or water to the regional council.

  • Consult with the regional council before undertaking any new drainage activities.

  • Comply with consent conditions and renew consents before expiring. Apply for renewal 6 months before consent expiry. This will give you automatic right to continue with your activity until a new consent is granted. If you apply between the period of 6 months and 3 months before the expiry you will be operating with your old consent until renewal at the regional council’s discretion. However, if you apply within the 3 months before the consent expires, your activity becomes unauthorised if the renewal is not granted before the expiry date. In the case of water permits in fully or over-allocated catchments and with councils’ sinking lid policy you could potentially lose your water right if you allow your consent to expire.

  • If you have not used your consent within the specified period or 5 years of granting your consent will lapse. Be in touch with the regional council before consent lapsing.

  • Be familiar with the permitted activity conditions. If in doubt consult with your regional council.

  • Avoid any activity that could cause flooding of your neighbour’s property.

  • Comply with the water measuring device regulation.

  • Comply with any regional council water shortage directions. These directions are given during water shortage periods.