+64 (03) 477 6111

Enforcement orders

Enforcement order

Application for an enforcement order can be made by any person including a District or Regional Council. Application can be made to the District Court when there is a breach of regulations or plans and when an unauthorised activity continues. If the Court is convinced, it will serve the enforcement order on the offender. Hearings will be held involving all parties before deciding on serving the order.

Interim enforcement order

If the adverse effects of the unauthorised activity require immediate and urgent attention, a regional or district council or anyone can apply for an interim enforcement order at the District Court. The Judge has to be convinced that the activity is serious and that it requires an urgent action. The Judge may or may not call all witnesses (including the defendant) before deciding to serve the order.